Thursday, February 28, 2008

Internet Mapping .. some thoughts

I come from a GIS background. In 1997 I built a mapObjects IMS application. It was one of the first Internet GIS products. Those were the early days. Later I built an application using ArcIMS. Again ArcIMS had just been released. Working on this project I realised in large part we were using spatial (GIS) servers as image generators. I'll not go into the ins and outs of GIS suffice it to say GIS is a powerful spatial analysis tool. Using the cost and overhead of spatial servers to simply regenerate a new map image, struck me as a little daft. There are many ways to show maps on the web, but often people fall back on expensive spatial servers (sometimes it makes sense often it doesn't). It started me on this ongoing adventure into Internet mapping.
In Flex 2 I've chosen one of the newest web development tools out there. Building mapping web sites has never been more fun, flexible and exciting.

No comments: